Fort Vasquez, located on Highway 85 along the South Platte River north of Fort Lupton, Colorado. The original fort was about 100 feet square with walls 12 feet tall constructed of adobe. In the 1930's the WPA partially reconstructed the fort. The original fort was constructed of adobe, a mixture of mud and straw. Over time the walls will crumble and melt. FORT VASQUEZ
Established in 1837 by Louis Vasquez and Andrew W. Sublette
Maintained until 1842 as a post for trade in buffalo robes and beaver skins with Arapahoes and Cheyennes.
Rendezvous of early trappers.
Emigrant station on Platte River Trail after gold rush of 1859.
Click here Topozone.com
For a map of Fort Vasquez, Colorado
Located at 40° 11' 39"N, 104° 49' 15"W
Send comments, suggestions or inquiries: Overland Trail
[Overland Trail | Stations and Stops | Links ]
Created and maintained by Elizabeth Larson
Copyright © 1996-2001 All Rights Reserved